The New York State Youth Leadership Council is the first undocumented youth based and youth based organization that empowers immigrant youth to stop being afraid of their undocumented immigration status and challenge the broken immigration system through leadership development, grassroots organizing, educational advancement, and a safe space for self-expression.
We are proud to announce that 2012 will be the fifth year the NYSYLC Awards Program will provide monetary support to youth, regardless of their immigration status, who aspire to continue their higher education, being active in the immigrant rights movement and wish to continue their commitment in the coming years.
* Currently a graduating high school senior residing in the NY state area planning to attend college in the fall of 2012, or a student attending college in New York (priority given to undergraduate students)
* Is actively engaged or wishes to become engaged with the immigrant rights movement in their community, school or campus.
* Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (on a scale of 4.0) upon application. If GPA lower than 2.5 applicant needs to submit one additional letter of recommendation.
* If awarded, must attend a mandatory two-day leadership training developed by the NYSYLC (date and time to be announced)
* If awarded, must attend the awards ceremony on Saturday, June 23rd, held in the NYC area (place TBC)
The New York State Youth Leadership Council Awards Program was founded since 2007 by undocumented youth who understand first hand the challenges and struggles youth face when trying to continue with their post-secondary education. The NYSYLC Awards Program
aims to support immigrant youth, regardless of their immigration status, advance themselves and their communities, pursue their higher education dreams and continue to contribute to our society in the manner of their choosing. The NYSYLC Awards is largely funded by youth-led grassroots fundraising efforts, as well as, generous donations and support from individuals and organizations.
All applications must be postmarked by Monday June 11th ,2012
Send or drop-off your application at:
The New York State Youth Leadership Council Awards Program
339 Lafayette Ave, Suite 304. New York , NY 10012
See the application HERE –please share!