Forwarded from Nohemy Solorzano-Thompson:
On October 14 and 15, 2011, we took steps toward building an organization that brought together Jotería arts, activism and scholarship. After years of community dialogues and three Jotería conferences, which took place at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (2007), California State University, Los Angeles (2008) and the University of Oregon (2010), the need for institutional spaces that support, affirm and manifest Jotería consciousness surfaced.
The Association for Jotería Arts, Activism and Scholarship (AJAAS) is intended to build on the ways of being and knowing of our communities by creating a space where Jotería consciousness thrives. This organization will embody the interwoven nature of the arts, activism and scholarship. Recognizing the ways in which we move within and across multiple mediums, practices and disciplines, we are forging an organization capable of supporting its members in multiple formats and contexts.
The meeting was hosted at the University of California-Berkeley. We are grateful for the generous support and hard work of our hosts, YQUE! (Young Queers United for Empowerment). We had an amazing gathering and accomplished a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, the following:
- Naming the organization: Association for Jotería Arts, Activism and Scholarship (AJAAS)
- Crafting a mission statement: the final draft is forthcoming
- Electing a founding board of directors:
- Anita Tijerina Revilla, Co-Chair
- Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano, Co-Chair
- Joaquín Quetzal Sánchez, Jr., Secretary
- José Manuel Aguilar Hernández, Treasurer
- Identifying a state for incorporation: California
- Selecting a site and dates for next planning meeting: Las Vegas, NV (early 2012)
- We are also working on the vision statement, scope, by-laws, values, and organizational structure of AJAAS.
The path toward building this organization is one that has just begun. We welcome those of you interested in rolling up your sleeves and working with us. For more information about the Las Vegas meeting or to join our e-mail listserve, please e-mail us at joteriamail [at] gmail.com.
Lastly, we have created a Facebook group page for our comunidades to begin connecting, sharing, learning and familia-building. Join the conversation by visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/joteriamail.
In love and Jotería,
José Manuel Aguilar Hernández
Luz Calvo, PhD
Xuan Carlos Espinoza Cuellar
Michael Hames-García, PhD
Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano
Emmanuelle Neza Leal
Daniel Enrique Pérez, PhD
Catrióna Rueda Esquibel, PhD
Joaquín Quetzal Sánchez, Jr
José Manuel Santillana
Anita Tijerina Revilla, PhD