All officers must be current members of MALCS in good standing. The Chair serves for a 3-year term, as Chair-Elect, as Chair, and as Ex-Oficio. All other elected positions serve for a term of 2 years.
B. The Chairperson-Elect shall:
- support the Chair in the implementation of the policies and procedures of the organization;
- assume the duties of the Chairperson, in the absence of the Chairperson;
- in consultation with the Webjefa and Communications Committee, be responsible for making recommendations to the Executive Committee on editorial policy, publishing and functionality of the MALCS’ digital presence and for working with Webjefa and Communications Committee to assure implementation of said decisions;
- be responsible for promoting MALCS’ digital publications and recruiting writers for those publications;
- call a meeting of the Coordinating Committee for the purpose of determining whether the Chairperson is unwilling or unable to perform the duties of the Chair in accordance with Article XI of these Bylaws; such a meeting must be called in writing with no less than five (5) days notice, and only when the Chair-Elect has a good cause to believe that the Chairperson is unable or unwilling to perform the duties of the Chair in accordance with Article XI of these Bylaws; the Chair-Elect shall solicit perspectives of relevant MALCS Committees and allow Coordinating Committee members to express their views on the questions and vote on the question;
- assume the duties of Chairperson if so directed by the Executive Committee;
- assume the office of Chairperson when the Chairperson’s term expires.
The Chair shall:
- preside at all meetings of the Executive and Coordinating Committees;
- implement the policies and procedures of the organization;
- represent the organization in all matters, but is to take no position which is contrary to these bylaws;
- together with Administrative Coordinator, sign all contracts approved by the Executive Committee;
- in consultation with the Executive Committee, appoint staff and volunteer positions;
- in consultation with the Executive Committee, appoint ad hoc committees;
- in consultation with the Executive Committee, appoint the historian to the coordinating committee;
- request General, Special, Executive and Coordinating Committee meetings;
- retain General Counsel, as needed;
- send copies of all correspondence and other matter received by the organization and copies of all matter sent by the organization to the National Office/Administrative Coordinator;
- prepare or cause to be prepared all written or typed or printed matter pertaining to and on behalf of the organization;
- serve on the Editorial Board of Journal of Chicana/Latina Studies;
- assume the office of Ex-Officio after the term expires.
The Ex-Officio shall:
- bring to conclusion projects started but not completed during term of office;
- assist with transition of officers (information, resources);
- serve on, and initially convene, the Nominations Committee;
- conduct special projects;
- together with the Administrative Coordinator, liaison between the Summer Institute Site Committee and the Executive Committee;
- in the absence of Chair and Chair-Elect, the Ex-Officio will facilitate meetings.
The Treasurer shall:
- in collaboration with the Administrative Coordinator, regularly review, report, and reconcile financial documents and statements for the organization;
- in consultation with the Administrative Coordinator, advise and consult with the Executive Committee regarding budgetary constraints, financial policy, audits, development strategies and activities;
- make recommendations on all routine and non-routine financial matters;
- review any items or requests with financial implications that are made to the National Office, Executive Committee and/or Coordinating Committee;
- chair the Funds Development Committee;
- in the absence of Chair, Chair-Elect, the Ex-Officio, the Treasurer will facilitate meetings.
The Recording Secretary shall:
- keep the minutes of all regular and special meetings of the Executive Committee, Coordinating Committee, and National Business Meeting;
- distribute minutes to the Executive Committee and the membership within (30) days after adjournment of each meeting;
- in collaboration with the Chair, prepare the agenda for all meetings;
- compile, organize, and deliver all documents to Administrative Coordinator and to the MALCS archives at UCLA;
- collect and keep contact information on chapters, caucuses, officers and awards.
The Membership Coordinator shall:
- conduct a yearly membership drive before the Summer Institute;
- in collaboration with the Communications Committee and Webjefa, be responsible for making recommendations to the Executive Committee on the uses and functionality of the listservs and email lists and other social media;
- be responsible for maintaining moderation of public and members listservs;
- work in consultation with webjefa to create and maintain the content of the MALCS website’s membership section;
- serve as a liaison between MALCS Executive Committee and the Historian;
- serve as a liaison between MALCS Executive Committee and chapters including soliciting reports and chapter activities for publication on MALCS website.
The At-Large Representative shall offer the national membership and the Executive Committee additional perspectives and information from a broad range of interests and voices, and shall:
- be elected at the Summer Institute and serve two-year terms with staggered start dates and end dates to ensure office continuity;
- attend the Summer Institute;
- attend meetings of the Coordinating Committee scheduled at the Summer Institute;
- recommend and organize workshops, panels, and themes for future institutes;
- identify pertinent topics in relation to their special interest and regions;
- prepare, report, and submit reports to Secretary;
- submit announcements and items of interests from their region for publication on the MALCS website or other digital venues;
- train incoming At-Large Representatives in duties;
- keep the Chair and Recording Secretary informed of current contact information.