How do I join?
New and renewal memberships are welcome and encouraged year-round. You may apply and pay your membership dues online at MALCS Membership Registration with a credit card or debit card via Paypal or by sending a check to:
1404 66th Street
Berkeley, CA 94702
Our membership dues are on a sliding scale based on income and must be renewed annually. Please select the membership level that corresponds to your current annual income. Once your payment has been processed, your membership will be activated.
When is your next event?
Upcoming events are announced on the Events page.
How do I find out about MALCS activities in my area?
Local chapters of MALCS are organized by region.
Current chapters include:
- San Antonio – University of Texas (Co-founded by Norma Cantú & Antonia Castañeda)
- Austin – University of Texas
- Salt Lake City – University of Utah
- San Francisco – California Institute of Integral Studies
- Davis – UC Davis
- Berkeley – UC Berkeley
- Riverside – UC Riverside – Facebook page
- Los Angeles
I don’t want to become a member, but I’d like to subscribe to the journal? How can I do that?
You can subscribe the journal via this link.
Non-member Subscription Rates:
- Individual Subscription $50/year
- Institutional Subscription $100/year
What benefits do I receive from becoming a member?
Your membership includes:
- A registration discount for the annual Summer Institute
- An opportunity to present at the Summer Institute
- A subscription to Chicana/Latina Studies: The Journal of MALCS
- eligibility to participate in the annual Chicana/Latina Studies: The Journal of MALCS Writing Workshop
- Access to MALCS web resources (ie. blog posting, discussion forums, member directory, online voting, etc.)
How do I start a MALCS chapter?
MALCS members who wish to establish a chapter must work in partnership with the MALCS Executive Committee. This means that chapters should have regular communication with the Executive Committee (via the Recording Secretary) to ensure that the proposed chapter’s structure and organization reflect the mission and values of MALCS. Chapter meetings and activities are at the discretion of each chapter. Once regional and/or institutional chapters have been established, chapters should send contact information and meeting times to the Executive Committee.
After reviewing our MALCS Chapter_frequently asked questions document, please contact Jean Aguilar-Valdez (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details about organizing a chapter in your area.
*The Executive Committee is in the process of creating a chapter contact form that will be available on the MALCS website.
Where can I get back copies or subscriptions of The MALCS Journal – Chicana/Latina Studies?
Where is the next Summer Institute? How much will it cost?
The 2017 Summer Institute takes place at Sonoma State University.
The 2016 Summer Institute was held at the University of Wyoming.
Proposals are being accepted for future sites! You can get all the latest information about this year’s SI, as well as information about past gatherings, on our Summer Institute site.